This story was written by former communications associate Laura Bayne.
The University of Georgia Board of Visitors welcomed 25 new members this summer.
Established in 2010 by the UGA Foundation Board of Trustees, the Board of Visitors includes business, government and community leaders who serve as advocates for UGA. Members help increase awareness about the university’s priorities, accomplishments and its $6.3 billion impact on the state of Georgia, and they provide valuable feedback on programs and initiatives at the state’s flagship university.
“I am grateful to our loyal alumni and friends on the Board of Visitors for their service to the University,” said President Jere W. Morehead. “Through their involvement, they are expanding the reach of UGA and helping our faculty, staff, and students make an even greater impact on the world.”
The new board members for 2019-2021, their locations and job titles include:
- Kelley M. Balkcom (BBA ’03), Brookhaven, regulatory affairs manager, Georgia Power.
- Thomas G. Boynton (BSAE ’84), Alpharetta, chief financial officer, Kakona.
- Joel R. Bulger (ABJ ’90), Athens, chief marketing officer, Zaxby’s.
- Kevin S. Carmichael (ABJ ’03), Dacula, director of corporate university relations, North America, NCR Corporation.
- Brian Crow (BSAE ’97), Atlanta, chief software officer, Xylem Inc.
- Brian M. Dykes (BBA ’00), Atlanta, vice president, global head of merger and acquisitions, United Parcel Service.
- Holli Hines Easton (BBA ’93), Atlanta, managing director, BFG Marketing, LLC.
- Roy E. Hadley, Jr. (BBA ’85, JD ’88), Atlanta, Georgia; business lawyer and trusted advisor, Adams and Reese, LLP.
- Madden Hatcher III (AB ’82, JD ’85), Columbus, senior vice president, J. Smith Lanier and Company, A Marsh and McLeennan Agency, LLC.
- William J. Mathews (BSFCS ’08, BSFCS ’08), Atlanta, multi-family investment sales managing director/platform leader, Colliers International.
- Byrd P. “Rusty” McGahee (BBA ’77), Augusta, retired director of compliance and controls, Textron Inc.
- Lynn Morgan (BBA ’86), Alpharetta, chief executive officer, Tour of America.
- Stephen J. Moroski (BBA ’91), Roswell, entrepreneurial sales leader.
- Edward Perkins (AB ’66), Watkinsville, retired international vice president, Johnson & Johnson.
- Anthony T. Powers (BBA ’11), Decatur, co-owner, Intown Ace Hardware and Mayor Pro-Tem, City of Decatur.
- Carolyn J. Roddy (ABJ ’75, JD ’78), Marietta, Georgia/Alexandria, Virginia, senior advisor, USDA Rural Utilities Service.
- Pamela F. Roper (AB ’94), Marietta, executive vice president and general counsel, Cousins Properties.
- Deep J. Shah (AB ’08, BS ’08), Lawrenceville, primary care physician, Gwinnett Clinic.
- Scott H. Sikes (AB ’82), Smyrna, principal and partner, Columns Fundraising.
- George W. Simmons (BSA ’88), Tallahassee, Florida, doctor of veterinary medicine, North Florida Animal Hospital.
- William H. Thomas, Jr. (AB ’88), Dunwoody, managing attorney, The W.H. Thomas Firm.
- Will Thorburn (BBA ’07), Marietta, Georgia; director of cleantech strategy and investments, Cox Enterprises.
- Lindsey D. Thornhill, Milton, vice president and division manager, Integrated Solutions for Systems Inc.
- Lauren S. Verdery (ABJ ’94), Atlanta, brand leader, Americas advisory, EY.
- Peter Williams, Atlanta, director and head of community relations, BlackRock Atlanta.
“We are excited to welcome these outstanding new members to the Board of Visitors,” said John Parker, Jr., chair of the UGA Foundation Board of Trustees’ Special Projects Committee. “As prominent leaders in their fields, they bring unique perspectives and expertise to our university. We are grateful they are choosing to invest their time and talents in the University of Georgia.”
During the board members’ two-year terms, they learn about university initiatives to extend and enhance its teaching, research and service mission. Recent program topics have centered on the launch of the university’s Innovation District and the launch of the UGA Mentor Program, an initiative that was sparked by feedback and advice provided by the board.
Nominations for the UGA Board of Visitors are accepted at any time during the year. Nominations received prior to Dec. 31 each year are considered for the following year’s board. To nominate someone for this position or to view the complete list of Board of Visitors members, visit give.uga.edu/uga-foundation/board-of-visitors.