Congratulations, 2019 40 Under 40!
We’re proud to announce the 40 Under 40 Class of 2019 today! This program, in its ninth year, celebrates the achievements of successful UGA graduates under the age of 40–a set of alumni who are leading the pack in their industries and communities. These young leaders will be recognized during the ninth annual 40 Under 40 Awards Luncheon Sept. 13 in the Tate Student Center on campus. If you’re interested, please join us for this special event.
Each Honoree Stands Out
The 2019 class includes a few names you might recognize:
- Allison R. Schmitt, a gold medal-winning Olympic swimmer
- Malcolm Mitchell, Super Bowl champion and children’s author
- Will Carr, a correspondent for ABC News on a national level
But even if you don’t know the names of everyone on the list, you’ll still be impressed at the caliber of these graduates working in everything from law and politics, to health care, nonprofit and food and beverage. For example, Tim Fleming is Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp’s chief of staff and Catherine Marti is a cardiologist at Piedmont Heart Institute focused on heart failure and transplant cardiology.
“We are excited to unveil this year’s class of 40 Under 40 and welcome them back home to Athens for the awards luncheon in September,” said Meredith Gurley Johnson, executive director of alumni relations. “I am always amazed by the excellence of our young alumni. These outstanding individuals exemplify leadership in their industries and communities.”
Talk about a competitive selection process: nominations for 40 Under 40 were open from February to April, and more than 400 alumni were nominated for this year’s class. Honorees, of course, must have attended UGA and they have to uphold the Pillars of the Arch: wisdom, justice and moderation. Additional criteria are available on the 40 Under 40 webpage.
“The achievements of our nominated alumni each year make it hard to narrow down the list to just 40 honorees, and this year was no exception,” said Johnson. “We are proud of all of these outstanding young graduates. Their drive and focus inspires the UGA community.”
Ok, Ok, Show Me the List!
This year’s 40 Under 40 honorees, including their city, title and employer, are listed below in alphabetical order:
- Brooke Beach (ABJ ’11), Brookhaven, Ga., CEO & founder, Marketwake
- Rhett Bennett (BBA ’03), Fort Worth, Texas, CEO, Black Mountain
- Ansley A. Booker (MS ’13), Macon, Ga., director, Mercer University Educational Opportunity Center
- Jamie C. Brown (BSA ’02, DVM ’07), San Antonio, Texas, chief of surgery, Department of Defense Military Working Dog Veterinary Services in the U.S. Army
- Ashley Hayes Callahan (ABJ ’04), Atlanta, Ga., senior director of integrated creative marketing, Chick-fil-A Inc.
- Will Carr (ABJ ’06), Glendale, Calif., correspondent, ABC News (National)
- Kyle B. Davis (BSFR ’06), Mountain Brook, Ala., special forces commander and recruiting director, U.S. Army Special Forces; co-founder & COO, Hydralive Therapy
- David B. Dove (AB ’09, JD ’14), Marietta, Ga., executive counsel, Office of Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp
- Demetric Evans (BSFCS ’11), Allen, Texas, captain, NFL Trust and NFL Players Association
- A. Zachary Faison, Jr. (JD ’06), Jacksonville, Fla., president & CEO, Edward Waters College
- Tim Fleming (AB ’05), Covington, Ga., chief of staff, Office of Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp
- Extriara C. Gates (MSW ’11), Atlanta, Ga., student services team lead, Year Up Greater Atlanta
- Christina Guillen (AB ’04, AB ’04), Fairburn, Ga., executive director, YouthServ360 Inc.; head of schools, 7 Pillars Career Academy
- William W. Harkins (BBA ’03, MACC ’03), Marietta, Ga., global director of controllership, The Coca-Cola Company
- Carmin Laurose Haynes (BBA ’13), Stanford, Calif., senior account manager, Google
- Hannah Kay Herdlinger (AB ’04), Charlotte, N.C., founder, Thread Talk
- Clay Huffman (BBA ’06, MACC ’07), Atlanta, Ga., senior manager, Frazier & Deeter LLC
- Adrienne M. Madison (PHD ’13), Dothan, Ala., chief musculoskeletal injury prevention and protection team, U.S. Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory
- Anant Mandawat (BS ’08, AB ’08), Atlanta, Ga., director, cardio-oncology program at Emory University and Winship Cancer Institute
- Catherine Marti (BS ’02), Athens, Ga., cardiologist in heart failure and transplant cardiology, Piedmont Heart Institute
- Malcolm Mitchell (AB ’15), Atlanta, Ga., founder, Read With Malcolm
- Colin Muething (BSED ’07, MED ’09), Atlanta, Ga., licensed psychologist, program manager, assistant professor, Marcus Autism Center and Emory University School of Medicine
- Ling-Ling Nie (AB ’01), Peachtree City, Ga., general counsel and vice president, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Amanda Olson (BS ’03), Houston, Texas, associate professor, stem cell transplant and cellular therapy, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Cory Phillips (AB ’03), Cartersville, Ga., principal, Forge Consulting
- Raymond N. Phillips (BS ’12, MBA ’18), Lithonia, Ga., senior consultant, Daugherty Business Solutions
- Cindy Mitchell Quinlan (BBA ’02, MED ’03, EDS ’09), Loganville, Ga., integrated entrepreneurship teacher, Gwinnett County Public Schools
- Arezoo Risman (MPH ’11), Atlanta, Ga., senior health communications specialist, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; author, Helping Kids Heal
- Christian M. Robinson (BBA ’04), Charlotte, N.C., vice president, J.P. Morgan Chase
- Allison R. Schmitt (BS ’14), Canton, Mich., gold medal-winning Olympic swimmer and mental health advocate
- Ryan E. Schnetzer (BSA ’05), Macon, Ga., spine surgeon, OrthoGeorgia
- Stephanie Mundy Self (BBA ’07, BMUS ’07), Franklin, Tenn., principal and partner, Farris, Self, & Moore
- Katherine E. Shayne (BSENVE ’16, MS ’18), Athens, Ga., co-founder & CEO, Can I Recycle This Inc.
- Terri R. Stewart (BBA ’03, JD ’06), Atlanta, Ga., partner, Fisher Phillips
- Tina Taylor (BBA ’03, MACC ’05), Houston, Texas, tax senior manager, Ernst & Young
- JaNae Taylor (MED ’03, PHD ’07), Norfolk, Va., owner and psychotherapist, Taylor Counseling and Consulting Services
- Blake Tillery (AB ’06, JD ’10), Vidalia, Ga., managing partner, Smith & Tillery; state senator for District 19
- Bob Watts (AB ’10), Atlanta, Ga., associate, Jones Day
- Robbie York (ABJ ’05), New York, N.Y., owner, American Whiskey
- Scott Zweigel (AB ’02, JD ’05), Brookhaven, Ga., partner, Parker, Hudson, Rainer & Dobbs LLP
As we said earlier, if you’re interested in attending the 2019 40 Under 40 Awards Luncheon in Athens on Friday, September 13, please register today! *If you’re an honoree, please use the registration link provided to you by the Alumni Relations team.