The University of Georgia Alumni Association Board of Directors has elected its 78th president, C. Lee Zell (AB ’96), and approved eight new board members. Their terms began July 1.
Zell has been on the board since 2015 and succeeds Yvette K. Daniels (AB ’86, JD ’89), whose two-year term concluded June 30. As a national account executive for WBD Sports, the sports marketing and broadcast arm of Warner Bros. Discovery, Zell is responsible for national television and digital advertising sales and sponsorships for a portfolio of sports properties in the Southeast. That portfolio includes the NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA March Madness, U.S. Soccer, Bleacher Report and House of Highlights.
“Lee is a spirited and supportive alumna who has been involved with our board of directors for eight years,” said Meredith Gurley Johnson (BSFCS ’00, MED ’16), executive director of alumni relations. “She is passionate and committed, and I cannot wait to continue working with her and our new board members as we seek to engage alumni in supporting UGA’s faculty, staff and students throughout the year.”
Zell is a Brunswick, Georgia, native, but now resides in Atlanta. She earned a bachelor’s degree from UGA in speech communications in 1996 and began her career with Turner Broadcasting soon after. She serves on the Washington Media Scholars Foundation Advisory Board, is a member of Leadership Georgia (Class of 2023), and is the vice president of the Chi Omega/University of Georgia House Corporation.
Alumni who joined the board on July 1 include:
- Don Grimsley (BBA ’96, MBA ’99), President, Grimsley Enterprises, Inc. / BHHS Commercial Real Estate; Gainesville, Georgia
- Jessica McClellan (AB ’00, JD ’03), Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice; Potomac, Maryland
- Jason Morris (BSA ’97), Regional President, Colony Bank; Ocilla, Georgia
- Rachel Perry (BBA ’93), Chief Innovation Officer – Commercial Risk Solutions North America, Aon Risk Services; Mableton, Georgia
- Matt Sawhill (BBA ’01), Principal, Sawhill Strategic Partners; Rome, Georgia
- Bowen Shoemaker (ABJ ’06), Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice Middle District of Georgia; Macon, Georgia
- Daniel Stewart (BSFCS ’05), President and Owner, Wier/Stewart; Augusta, Georgia
- Andres Villegas (BSA ’98), President/CEO, Georgia Forestry Association and Georgia Forestry Foundation; Macon, Georgia
The executive board members who will serve alongside Zell include:
- Corey Dortch (BSA ’03, MED ’05, PHD ’11), Vice President – Associate Dean – Evening MBA Program, Emory University; Marietta, Georgia
- Todd Phinney (BBA ’88), Secretary – Business Consultant-Field Operations, Chick-fil-A, Inc.; Bishop, Georgia
- Anne Beckwith (BBA ’90), Chapters Committee Chair – Community Volunteer; Atlanta, Georgia
- Yvette K. Daniels (AB ’86, JD ’89), Immediate Past President – Deputy Director – Division Workforce Management, Georgia Department of Public Health; Stone Mountain, Georgia
- Paton Faletti (BBA ’99), Signature Programs Committee Chair – President and CEO, NCM Associates; Atlanta, Georgia
- Dominique Holloman (BS ’01, AB ’01, MED ’04, JD ’04), Nominating Committee Chair – Government Affairs Professional, Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority; Atlanta, Georgia
- Elliott Marsh (BSA ’02, MAL ’11), Student & Young Alumni Committee Chair – Financial Advisor, Edward Jones; Statesboro, Georgia
- Raegan Tuff (PHD ’09), Affinity Committee Chair – Public Health Analyst, CDC; Lilburn, Georgia
The UGA Alumni Association Board of Directors works closely with UGA’s alumni relations staff to promote, support, and advance the programs and services that are offered to more than 355,000 living alumni around the world.
Board members who concluded their terms on the board on June 30 included:
- Robert Watts (AB ’10), Atlanta, Georgia
- Brian Dill (AB ’94, MBA ’19), Carrollton, Georgia
- Jon Howell (BBA ’99, MBA ’17), Jefferson, Georgia
- Eric Cohen (BSA ’00), Whigham, Georgia
- Truitt Eavenson (BSAE ’83), Savannah, Georgia
- Steve Horton (ABJ ’71, MED ’85), Athens, Georgia
- Shondeana Morris (ABJ ’82), Atlanta, Georgia