Athens, Ga. – The University of Georgia Foundation Board of Trustees approved changes in leadership and board positions during its annual June meeting in Greensboro, Georgia. These individuals’ terms began July 1.
The board voted unanimously to elect Allison C. Ausband as chair for a two-year term running through June 30, 2025. She succeeds Neal J. Quirk Sr., whose term concluded June 30. The board also elected trustees E. Howard Young as executive vice-chair, Bonney S. Shuman as secretary, and James G. Cochran Jr. (Guyton) as treasurer.
The UGA Foundation elected three new trustees who will join current members to comprise a 46-member board. Those individuals include Yvette K. Daniels, Edward R. Castro and Mark L. Jennings.
The board also accorded emeritus status to six trustees: Eleanor F. Banister, Mark B. Chandler Sr., Jennifer D. Flanagan, Ted McMullan, John H. Crawford IV and Barry L. Storey.
Two advisory trustees, Mark A. Kauffman and R. Scott Kingsfield, were elected to assist foundation committees in defining and achieving their strategic goals.
Individuals with new positions or status in relation to the UGA Foundation are:
- Allison C. Ausband, of McDonough, chair, is the executive vice president and chief customer experience officer for Delta Air Lines. She previously served as vice-chair, chair of the foundation’s Nominating and Trusteeship Committee, and strategic vice-chair. She earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from UGA in 1983.
- E. Howard Young, of Atlanta, vice-chair, is president of General Wholesale Beer Company. He previously served as chair of the Student Scholarships and University Initiatives Committee, and strategic vice-chair, which oversaw the Development Committee, Student Scholarships and University Initiatives Committee, and Special Projects. He earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing from UGA in 1982.
- Bonney S. Shuman, of St. Simons Island, secretary, co-founded Stratix Corporation in 1983 and served as president and then CEO. She previously held the treasurer position, chaired the Finance Committee and, from 2017 to 2019, she was the UGA Alumni Association president. She earned a bachelor’s degree in finance from UGA in 1980.
- James G. Cochran Jr. (Guyton), of Carrollton, treasurer, is executive vice president and chief financial officer for Southwire Company, LLC. He earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from UGA in 1988.
- Yvette K. Daniels, of Stone Mountain, is the deputy director of workforce management for the Georgia Department of Public Health. Daniels is the immediate past president of the UGA Alumni Association. She earned a bachelor’s degree in political science from UGA in 1986 and a law degree from UGA in 1989.
- Edward R. Castro, of Atlanta, is the president of Ed Castro Landscaping in Roswell. He earned a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture from UGA in 1988.
- Mark L. Jennings, of Watkinsville, is the owner of Athens Construction Group, LLC.
- Mark A. Kauffman, of Atlanta, is the retired former owner and president of Kauffman Tire, Inc., and Treadmaxx Tire Distributors, Inc. He earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from UGA in 1984.
- R. Scott Kingsfield, of Atlanta, is a partner with Luminate Capital Partners.
Ex-Officio Voting Trustee
- C. Lee Zell, of Atlanta, has succeeded Yvette K. Daniels as UGA Alumni Association president. Zell earned a bachelor’s degree from UGA in 1996, and is a national account executive with WBD Sports, the sports marketing and broadcast arm of Warner Bros Discovery.